Welcome to the 5th international workshop on in-kind best practice!
In-kind and other models of international Co-operation
Your organizers this year are Tuomas Grahn, Taina Hardén, Tarja Heikkilä and Sonia Utermann. We are being hosted by the Helsinki Institute of Physics and are grateful to the IDEAAL project for sponsorship.
So what's new this time around?
Since the first workshop in Lund in 2014, many of our big science projects in Europe have matured and so our questions have narrowed and deepened. Big science facilities like CERN, ESA, ESS and European-XFEL are working more closely together in exchanging knowledge and resources. At IKBest5, we are going to have a close look at the pros and cons of international Big Science and models for co-operative research.That's why we have selected a twofold approach.
- We will have a session dedicated to practical solutions for late-stage project management, installation and life-cycle management; and
- We will have a session to develop concepts for an in-kind future of smaller and more flexible mobile devices post-AGATA and Euroball vis-à-vis large and monolithic facilities.
Take a look at the wiki from previous workshops.
Helsinki Institute of Physics, located in the Kumpula campus of the University of Helsinki (https://www.hip.fi/?page_id=88) can be easily reach from the city centre Helsinki by public transportation.
A detailed guide can be found in http://www.hip.fi/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kumpula-campus-map.pdf).
From the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport one can use public transportation to Kumpula (https://reittiopas.hsl.fi/reitti/Helsinki%20Airport%2C%20(HEL%20Airport)%2C%20Lentokenttä%2C%20Vantaa%3A%3A60.316051%2C24.969391/Gustaf%20Hällströms%20gata%201%2C%20Helsingfors%3A%3A60.205499%2C24.963825) or use a taxi (around 40€).
Participants are expected to book their own accommodation. A list of various types of accommodation in Helsinki can be found for instance in https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en/search?category=accommodation.
Hotels in Hakaniemi and in the vicinity of the central railway station are conveniently located and close to bus stops that can be used to travel to the Kumpula campus area. Some of those are listed here for your convenience:
- Scandic Hakaniemi https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/scandic-hakaniemi
- Scandic Paasi https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/scandic-paasi
- Scandic Kaisaniemi https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/scandic-kaisaniemi
- Scandic Seurahuone https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/seurahuone-helsinki
- Hotel Arthur https://www.hotelarthur.fi/en/
- Sokos Hotel Vaakuna https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/helsinki/sokos-hotel-vaakuna
- Hilton Helsinki Strand https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/finland/hilton-helsinki-strand-HELHIHI/index.html
- And many others.
Things to do:
Tourist information can be found here: https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en